Sunday, March 4, 2012

What is the relationship between discourse and communication?

I find it hard to distinguish between discourse and communication. I know discourse is needed for effective communication, but really, I can't seem to distinguish between them D:What is the relationship between discourse and communication?
Let's start with definitions

from http://www.thefreedictionary.com



Discourse = dis路course (dsk么rs, -krs)

n.

1. Verbal expression in speech or writing.

2. Verbal exchange; conversation.

3. A formal, lengthy discussion of a subject, either written or spoken



Communication = com路mu路ni路ca路tion (k-myn-kshn)

n.

1. The act of communicating; transmission.

2. a. The exchange of thoughts, messages, or information, as by speech, signals, writing, or behavior.

b. Interpersonal rapport.



To me, discourse CAN be a part of effective communication, but it can also be ineffective. If I am sitting in church and the priest is speaking, but I am either thinking about what I am going to make for dinner or where I am going to go shopping, there is no communication going on. Although the priest is talking, I am not listening, and communication is a two-way street.



If I am in a lecture hall and listening to the prof lecture on pathophysiology, and hear everything that is said, but I am actually supposed to be in a sociology lecture, that is not effective communication. It may be effective discource, and the best path lecture ever!



Hope this helps!
  • shop bop
  • skyrim
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment