Sunday, March 4, 2012

What kind of writing is done in a Communication major/career?

This is an assignment in my intro to writing class. I have to research about what kind of writings are done in my major, Communication. So if anybody who have graduated from this major can tell me what kind of writing you do now in your career, it would be very helpful. Thanks!What kind of writing is done in a Communication major/career?
It all depends on where your career path takes you. I graduated with a Bachelor's in written communications, couldn't find work in the field, went back to school, got a Master's in computer science, and now I'm in the computer field. Most of the work-related writing I do now is documenting procedures, that is, recording how to do stuff on the network like backups, installing often-used programs, how to make sure things continue to work when you change a password, and so on. The general idea is that just in case I get clobbered by a truck or something, someone else can go into my files, read them, and learn enough to keep the network running. "Technical writing" would be the best term to sum it up.



I also take care of the company's website, so keeping the website updated and posting new material and write-ups when needed is my creative outlet. The style on our website is mostly technical, but it does include some journalistic-style writing since we occasionally put press-release-like pages online.

No comments:

Post a Comment