Saturday, February 25, 2012

How necessary is communication in the Accounting field?

I was wondering how much of a factor it is. I have a form of autism. While I can answer questions when asked ( or possibly even give a presentation if I have enough subject matter) I cannot relate to people well, carry on a conversation about something that's not work/school oriented, make small talk/jokes.



I am pretty good at math and I have high interest in numbers, statistics, finance formulas and the like. I also can write pretty effectively and find it much easier than verbal communication. While I am a little on the slow learner side, I typically make high grades in my college freshman classes.



What Im basically wondering is do people with poor social skills just have to make up for it in expertise/work ethic?



****As you might be able to assume, I dont plan on running my own practiceHow necessary is communication in the Accounting field?
Communication is important for lifeskills, however, at work, if the job gets done in a timely fashion, I think you'll do ok. Employers focus on 2 things. Behaviour %26amp; productivity. If you are producing your work well, great! If you can't communicate in person, thank God for e-mail! ha ha

The accountant at my work talks way too much and I would prefer it if she was quiet. Number crunching does not involve excellent communication ability. It demands focus, intelligence, accuracy of course, data entry, computer skills, stuff like that. Being able to hold a conversation about your weekend with other staff, isn't really important to the bottom line. Making money.

No comments:

Post a Comment